Passion for Mechanical Design – Solid Modelling Expertise – Team Player – Hygienic Design Expertise
CMP is a dynamic and growing stainless steel equipment manufacturer delivering design, fabrication, and installation services and turn-key solutions to our food processing customers. As a division of FPS (Food Process Solutions), we serve customers across Canada, The United States, and Internationally.
We are launching a Global Innovation Center in October 2022 located on our PEI Campus. This is an exciting new investment in innovation for FPS and CMP. We have immediate need for talented designers and engineers to join our New Product Development teams as well as our Manufacturing Engineering teams located in both PEI and New Brunswick.
At CMP we strive to be one of the best places to work in Atlantic Canada. Culture is everything. We ensure our employees respect each other, respect our clients, and are collaborative in their approach to their daily workflow.
You will work alongside and complement our talented team of over 160 engineers, designers, technical sales, and fabricator/welders. You will have an opportunity to grow your knowledge of machinery design and leverage that knowledge to build strength in hygienic design of food processing equipment. CMP is constantly innovating and contributing to more advanced hygienic designs to exceed client needs. We engineer food safety in everything we do.
We have two main engineering focus areas – manufacturing engineering and new product development & innovation. Opportunities in both these focus areas will be discussed during our interview process.
Key Job Responsibilities:
The Mechanical Designer will collaborate with engineering management, project engineers, project managers, technical sales, and other designers to create 3D equipment designs and fabrication drawings using Autodesk Inventor for custom equipment for the food processing industry. A strong work ethic and ability to collaborate and communicate effectively in a fast and flexible work environment is a must.
Mentoring will be provided by all members of the CMP team to accelerate learning and development. For those designers located in our Moncton engineering office, frequent visits to our manufacturing operations in PEI will be required to confirm design intent and compare to actual equipment built – a great hands-on approach to engineering.
- Provide practical design insight to custom food process equipment, plant layouts, and custom food processing solutions that exceed customer expectation.
- Attend project meetings and collaborate with Project Engineers/Project Managers from initial concept and design through to generation of fabrication drawings.
- Work to trouble shoot fabrication issues from the manufacturing floor as requested.
- Creating 2D and 3D models and drawings with the use of AutoCAD and AutoCAD Inventor.
- Efficiently work within the project timeline to produce layout and fabrication drawings, drawing sets, structural detailing, and associated material lists.
- Review Drawings for proper fit, ability to manufacture, and GD&T (Geometric Dimensioning and Tolerancing)
- Provide technical expertise and suggestions in a collaborative engineering environment.
- Continuous improvement in the design of standard parts and equipment.
- Collaborate during design reviews with engineering and fabrication team members
- Interface with vendors and integrate equipment components.
- Manage the equipment BOM for material purchasing.
- Support the Shop Foreman with intended fabrication details/methods.
- Optimize part design to minimize waste and use standard materials.
Additional Job Responsibilities Include:
- Support the overall business goals, as set by the company.
- Innovation in the design of new parts and equipment.
- Attend weekly department meetings.
- Maintain and organize file structure within the Autodesk Vault.
- Participate and contribute to the departmental and company culture objectives.
- Develop LEAN manufacturing strategies.
- Mechanical Engineering Degree, Diploma in Engineering Design and Drafting Technology, or equivalent with design experience.
- Ideally two to five years of equipment design experience (will train new grads with the right attitude as Junior Mechanical Designers).
- Ideally experienced in machine design using solid modelling software. Preference will be given to individuals with experience in Autodesk Inventor.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Be an active contributing member of the team.
- Ability to create written reports and review technical specifications.
- Excellent organization skills and detail-oriented approach to design.
- Industrial food processing experience would be considered an asset.
- Hands-on mechanical aptitude considered an asset.
- Experience in design for manufacturability is considered an asset.
Salary: $50,000 to $65,000 per year plus benefits and paid OT
How to Apply: Send Cover Letter and Resume via email to email@example.com and include Mechanical Designer Application in the subject line. We appreciate all candidates interest, however only those selected for an interview will be contacted.