Passion for Mechanical Design – Solid Modelling Expertise – Leadership and Mentorship – Hygienic Design Expertise
CMP is a dynamic, and growing manufacturer of custom stainless-steel food processing equipment that keeps millions of people around the world, safe, every day. That’s because, for over 60 years, CMP has been committed to designing, fabricating and installing food processing equipment that meets – and often exceeds – hygienic standards, for some of the world’s largest food processors.
At CMP we strive to be one of the best places to work in Atlantic Canada. Culture is everything and we feel that since you spend a good part of your waking hours at a job, it better be a place you love to work.
We ensure our employees respect each other, respect our clients, and are collaborative in their approach to their daily work flow. If you’re obsessed with building equipment that keeps food safe, have a strong work ethic and want to contribute to a positive work environment, then we’re your company. In return for your skill sets you will be given a competitive salary and benefits package coupled with the opportunity for growth.
Key Job Responsibilities:
The position of Senior Designer will lead complex projects in the creation of 3D equipment designs, using Autodesk Inventor. Reporting to the Design Engineering Manager, the senior designer will collaborate with the company’s project managers to create custom equipment for the food processing industry. The senior design position will be looked upon as a role of authority within the design team. He or She will be required to provide coaching, mentorship, leadership and support to the junior members of the CMP design team. He or She will be required to provide creative solutions to complex mechanical problems. The senior designer must have a strong work ethic and ability to collaborate and communicate effectively in a fast and flexible work environment.
- Produce practical and functional equipment designs within budget
- Deliver detailed shop drawings for fabrication (waterjet, bending, machining, fabrication)
- Continuous improvement in the design of standard parts and equipment
- Efficiently work within the project timeline to produce layout and fabrication drawings
- Assist and/or lead junior designers in modelling practices and mechanical design
- Attend project meetings and collaborate with Project Managers
- Collaborate with engineering and fabrication on design review
- Interface with vendors and select equipment components
- Manage the equipment BOM for material purchasing
- Support the Shop Foreman with intended fabrication details/methods
- Develop fluid, hydraulic, pneumatic and electrical control schematics
- Create process flow diagrams, including P&ID, and TP lists
- Optimize part design to minimize waste and use standard materials
Additional Job Responsibilities Include:
- Support the overall business goals, as set by the company
- Innovation in the design of new parts and equipment
- Attend weekly department meetings
- Maintain and organize file structure within the Autodesk Vault
- Participate and contribute to the departmental and company culture objectives
- Develop LEAN manufacturing strategies
- Develop equipment manuals
- 10 years experience in machine design using solid modelling software. Preference will be given to individuals with experience in Autodesk Inventor.
- 10 years experience developing fabrication drawings.
- Formal education in engineering or engineering drafting would be considered an asset
- Working experience with Stainless Steel fabrication
- Working experience with waterjet, sheet metal and machinist
- Industrial food processing experience would be considered an asset
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to create written reports and review technical specifications
- Excellent organization skills and detail-oriented approach to design
- Experience working as a team member and mentor
Salary: Compensation dependant on qualifications and experience
How to Apply: Send Cover Letter and Resume via email to firstname.lastname@example.org and include Senior Designer Application in the subject line. We appreciate all candidates interest, however only those selected for an interview will be contacted.